We've all been cleared. Several of us, myself included, have received letters from the procurator fiscal telling us our court appearance tomorrow is cancelled and no criminal proceedings will be taken with regards to the charges.
Geraint also phoned the procurator fiscal and was told that the case has been closed and all charges dropped. More details here.
You can see some reports and discussion about this at the following links:
At this time, I’ll make the following points:
- we were all peaceful at all times during the protest
- only 1 protestor sneaked into the meeting. Geraint Bevan, the coordinator of NO2ID Scotland got into the meeting at the start under the cunning ruse of walking up to the registration desk and claiming to be one of the people named on the badges on display.
- prior to entering the hotel, we were protesting peacefully outside, causing curiosity, amusement and the occasional message of support from the passing public.
- when the hotel manager approached us and asked us to leave, Geraint (by this time physically thrown out of the meeting) asked if it were OK for us to leave after STV had conducted an interview with him. The manager agreed.
- when the interview was over, we made to leave immediately, only to find the police had been called. At no point prior to this were we given any intimation the police were called or were going to be called. Prior to the hotel manager asking us to leave, we were not told by any member of staff that we should leave.
- when we entered, we entered peacefully, quietly, carrying placards, with an STV camera crew in tow. The people at the head of our procession did not wear masks.
- we were officially arrested at 12.30 (after a considerable length of time when the police took our details).
- we regard this charge as a ridiculous jumped up charge.
- we will be fighting this charge.
- Geraint faces a separate charge related to events in the meeting. This will also be fought.